Thursday, February 21, 2008

What Happened to Dad?

Many apologies!
If you read this blog yesterday, I had promised to send out something on Women's ministry - what Heather [My girlfriend has initiated]. Well many apologies we have something different today. From the comments one of us asked if I could share my own personal testimony in as far as Child Development is concerned. I guess I will just do that!
Find out more about Child development from http://blog.compassion.com/
My Life!
We possibly all identify with the fact that exposing your own life makes you abit nervous to the bones. But I thank God for the confidence I have in doing this. Hopefully this will give a big push to all of us in as far as parenting and reaching out to children is concerned.
I was born on 29th April 1985 in the days when civil wars in my country were at their climax but I survived and ran over the huddles of military gunmen. Soon after my birth, Uganda was at peace, my sincere gratitude to the current ruling party. So much devastation sorrounded me, my family and the country.
I should mention that the current face of Uganda depicts the big reconstruction and development the country has tasted.
I dont know if what had happened to my country back then [disintegration] ended up happening to me as well!I give yes for an answer on that. What I remember is Dad had left me and mum alone. It felt so lonely and insecure without Dad around! Mum was solely responsible for me, she had to provide for my upkeep, my education bills, my clothings and all that I needed. She could afford paying the bill but how many Mothers in my country can afford this? Not all, actually most are uneducated without any income generationg work!
In Uganda, many children are diastered by sometimes both parents, in some instances children loose their parents to HIV/AIDS or Malaria. We have families that are headed by children! Dad is gone, Mum is gone as well! Who do they look to?
Good News!
The good news is that Christ Jesus knows the children's needs and knows the ability and potential each of us has to make a difference in the lives of children. Compassion International [http://www.compassion.com/default.htm] has come in to help so many children get to their full potential as fulfilled adults. This is done through child sponsorship! Learn more about Child Sponsorship
Food for Thought
Psalm 27:7 "Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me"

David cried out to God that He may hear him in his tribulation and adversity. How many of the Children cry out there for Care, love, Compassion and Parents, many. Still you and I can make a difference in millions of children's lives.

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking. William B. Sprague

6 comments:

a kelly said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I can understand a little of what your mother went through. I am a widow and raised my daughter by myself. My heart goes out to you and your mother. And thank you again for helping us to understand the importance of Compassion International. My prayers are with you.

Timmarie said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm so glad to be able to read about my Uganan brother in Christ.

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to welcome you. And to thank you. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

big bro Desmo!!! MISSED YOU! This is soooo cool u have a blog now! i always found it hard trying to keep up with ur busy life! hehe. Your blog, like everything you say and do, is truly inspiring and great! It'll be great to keep up with what ur doing & pray for you in specific areas. Uganda is definitely blessed to have you! So when are you running for prime minister hey? ;)
Anyway, better go... by the way, kids ministry here is going awesome & uni starts back next week!
Loads of love and God bless,
Yo Lil Aussie Sis,

Bec Ampiere =)

Aliciaq said...

Beautiful post Dennis! Thank you for sharing with us about your life and your country.

May God continue to bless you and give you strength to continue with your ministry.

Alicia

Marie said...

What a beautiful country you have. A land of laughter and tears, but that is the stuff life is made up of.

Thankyou for sharing your life with us:). I send a *wave* from Sunny Australia:).

Peace to you:)

Marie